Search for :  
In :  
Creation Research Homepage


 Fossils

Related Sections:
Rocks and Minerals
Many of these fossils can be seen as high quality pics with a zoom facility.
Many can also be viewed as 3D interactive images.
They require Java to display. Click here to find out how to enable Java.

This page shows Fossils 21 to 30 of 40 specimens

Fossil Water Lilly

Fossil Water Lilly

Height:3cm     Width:14cm
See it as an interactive 3D image!

Fossil Water Lilly

The water lily is a flowering plant or angiosperms. Fossil evidence of water lilies has been found in Portugal in rocks that are labelled Early Cretaceous, and that puts them in the same rocks as many dinosaurs. The fossil lilies have been found to be very similar to the giant lilies of today from the Amazon region and have the scientific classification: Water lilies make up the family Nymphaeaceae of the order Nymphaeales, genus Victoria.
For more exciting information, Click here

Fruit (Alive)

Fruit (Alive)

Height:7cm     Width:4cm
See it as an interactive 3D image!

Fruit (Alive)

This fossil fig has been known by several technical names including Ficus ceratops and Guarea ceratops. It was found in the ‘bad land’ through eastern Montana and USA, mixed with dinosaur ,fish,turtle and sequoia cone fossils. Such Figs are also found in South Dakota. The figiness of this fruit is easily seen when you place a dried fig (readily available from the market) beside your fossil fig. Modern figs fall off trees when ripe and quickly rot on the ground. Figs do not like to have their roots in water and their fruit rots even more quickly if it falls into water; therefore the only way such a fig could have been fossilised was by being rapidly buried then quickly petrified. Large numbers of these have been found in rocks of the Hell’s Creek formation in Montana. This is a flood deposit containing many dinosaurs which were also washed in and rapidly buried. The speed of deposition not only preserved the dinosaurs, but also the figs. Since the rapidly flowing water removed the fruit from their plants, it is difficult to know exactly which variety of fig your specimen is. The one thing we do know is that these fossils which are found buried with fossil fish, dinosaurs, turtles and sequoia cone, point to a watery catastrophe on a huge scale which destroyed a lush world and rapidly buried and preserved many of its plants and animals.
For more exciting information, Click here

Fruit (Dead)

Fruit (Dead)

Height:6cm     Width:3.5cm
See it as an interactive 3D image!

Fruit (Dead)

This fossil fig has been known by several technical names including Ficus ceratops and Guarea ceratops. It was found in the ‘bad land’ through eastern Montana and USA, mixed with dinosaur ,fish,turtle and sequoia cone fossils. Such Figs are also found in South Dakota. The figiness of this fruit is easily seen when you place a dried fig (readily available from the market) beside your fossil fig. Modern figs fall off trees when ripe and quickly rot on the ground. Figs do not like to have their roots in water and their fruit rots even more quickly if it falls into water; therefore the only way such a fig could have been fossilised was by being rapidly buried then quickly petrified. Large numbers of these have been found in rocks of the Hell’s Creek formation in Montana. This is a flood deposit containing many dinosaurs which were also washed in and rapidly buried. The speed of deposition not only preserved the dinosaurs, but also the figs. Since the rapidly flowing water removed the fruit from their plants, it is difficult to know exactly which variety of fig your specimen is. The one thing we do know is that these fossils which are found buried with fossil fish, dinosaurs, turtles and sequoia cone, point to a watery catastrophe on a huge scale which destroyed a lush world and rapidly buried and preserved many of its plants and animals.
For more exciting information, Click here

Golden Ammonite

Golden Ammonite

Height:3cm     Width:5cm
See it as an interactive 3D image!

Golden Ammonite

This spectacular fossil is a curled shell of the Ammonite group. The gold colouring is produced by a natural layer of the mineral Iron Sulphide-otherwise known as fool's gold. By itself fool's gold has little value, but when it precipitates on the surface of a fossil ammonite or plant, the results can be spectacular (and valuable). The fossil has been 'brushed' with an iron brush to bring out the gold shine. Gold pyrite encased fossils are not common, and this specimen is from a small quarry in Germany. Ammonites have played a surprising role in the science of geology.
For more exciting information, Click here

Graptolite

Graptolite

Height:     Width:

Graptolite


For more exciting information, Click here

Graptolite 2

Graptolite 2

Height:     Width:

Graptolite 2


For more exciting information, Click here

Insect

Insect

Height:0.5cm     Width:0.9cm

Insect

Did you know that present day insects outnumber all other species of living animals by about 4 to 1? The word insect comes from a latin word meaning to “cut into”. The insect body is “cut into” 3 sharply divided sections – head, thorax and abdomen. Insects have 6 legs attached to their thorax and a hard exo-skeleton. Over 12,000 fossil insects have been discovered in the rocks, and over 95% of these are living fossils, i.e. the present day creature and the fossil one look the same. The remaining 5% seem to be extinct. Absolutely none of the fossil discoveries have been any help to Darwin’s theory of evolution.
For more exciting information, Click here

Insect - Diving Beetle Larvae

Insect - Diving Beetle Larvae

Height:7cm     Width:10cm

Beetle Larvae

Did you know that present day insects outnumber all other species of living animals by about 4 to 1? The word insect comes from a latin word meaning to “cut into”. The insect body is “cut into” 3 sharply divided sections – head, thorax and abdomen. Insects have 6 legs attached to their thorax and a hard exo-skeleton. Over 12,000 fossil insects have been discovered in the rocks, and over 95% of these are living fossils, i.e. the present day creature and the fossil one look the same. The remaining 5% seem to be extinct. Absolutely none of the fossil discoveries have been any help to Darwin’s theory of evolution.
For more exciting information, Click here

Mesosaur Tooth

Mesosaur Tooth

Height:     Width:
See it as an interactive 3D image!


For more exciting information, Click here

Nautiloid Small – Morocco

Nautiloid Small – Morocco

Height:1.5cm     Width:8cm
See it as an interactive 3D image!

Nautiloid Small – Morocco

These polished marble specimens were found in the Atlas mountains of Morocco. They contains Nautiloid shells which used to be called Orthoceras (meaning ‘Straight horn’) but have now been renamed Geisonoceras.sp. The reason for the name change? It was labelled Orthoceras for more than one hundred years but, in 1936 two authorities showed this name had been given to a clam before it was used for straight shelled Nautiloids. Under ‘naming rules’, the clam claims the title Orthoceras. Fossil experts then had to devise the new name for Geisonoceras.sp which has largely been ignored. Such renaming can produce complications when you are trying to prove something about Orthoceras, (meaning a straight shell), and the sceptic looks up Orthoceras to find it is a crooked clam.


For more exciting information, Click here


 << Previous 10Next 10 >> 
 

© 2011 Copyright Creation Research. All rights reserved.
Designed by TS Web Services